Dec 05 2011

Blessing Lives Everyday with Special Surprises (B.L.E.S.S.): 25 Days of Christmas Blessings (Update)

Candy Cane and B.L.E.S.S. note taped to a local ATM Machine

We have officially started our 25 Days of Christmas B.L.E.S.S. (Blessing Lives Everyday with Special Surprises) and in all honesty I think we have been blessed more by doing these activities.  It has been a real joy doing these fun events everyday and it has been a great experience so far.  In some cases we get to see who receives our B.L.E.S.S. gift and in other cases we will never know who is on the receiving end.  We pray that whoever receives or finds these gifts will experience joy during this Holiday Season.  Each night we take down the B.L.E.S.S. activity for the next day and read the verse and the activity then pray for those who have and will receive our little BLESS’ings.

Quarters taped to the toy and candy vending machines at the front of the store.

Here is what we have done so far and a couple pictures to share of our adventures:

• Day 1 – Gave a donation to the Salvation Army then passed out stickers at our local Walmart as people were coming in and out of the store.   During our 45 minutes passing out stickers at Walmart we saw several friends (it was great to greet friends on their way in or out of the store).  The girls gave one little girl and her Dad a sticker, the Dad reached into his Walmart bag pulled out a new container of cookies gave it to his daughter and then had her give the girls each a cookie to say “thank you” for sharing a sticker.  It was so sweet, I almost cried watching the whole interaction in the middle of the Walmart store entry way!
  • Day 2 – Taped a candy cane to the ATM at a local bank.  Taped quarters to the toy and candy vending machines at a local store.  The girls wanted to go back the next day and see if the quarters were used!
  • Day 3 – Hid dollars in the toy section at the Dollar Tree, the girls loved doing this one and giggled the whole time they were hiding the dollars.  They were very excited for the kid who would find a dollar hidden in the toys.
  • Day 4 – Collected food for the Alms & Legs Food Pantry to help families in our local community.  The girls each picked out items that they wanted to share with others.  They spent a considerable amount of timing picking out the perfect cans of vegetables, fruit, and other goodies to share.

Quarter taped to the vending machine for another little kid to enjoy

One of our favorite verses this week went along with our Day 4 activity.

For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me.  – Matthew 25:35

The verse was very specific so it was a fun one to discuss.  When we discussed the verse with the girls they knew exactly what it meant.  “If a person is hungry we should give them food.”  They enjoyed picking out some of their favorite foods to share.

Karlie’s $1 “hidden” in the Dollar Tree toy aisle

I am super excited to see how great this B.L.E.S.S. activity is going already.  It has been a true joy sharing with others (many of whom we’ll never meet).  It has been a great experience and I look forward to seeing what will happen with our fun adventures this week.

Brina’s $1 “hidden” in the toy section on Dollar Tree.

The main purpose of this activity is to teach our family the joy of giving and sharing to those around us.  I plan to do another update on our fun B.L.E.S.S. adventures next week.  Sometimes it’s the little stuff that can make the most positive impact.  I would love to hear how you are spreading the Christmas cheer this Holiday Season.

(Update) I have been asked by a number of people for a printable version of the  25 Days of Christmas B.L.E.S.S. activities, verses, and sheets to handout so here they are for your family to enjoy as well:

Share and Enjoy.

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Delicious
  • Google Reader
  • Add to favorites

Comments

25 Days of Random Acts of Kindness :: Money Saving Mom® 07-12-2011, 12:21

[...] Two different bloggers have challenged themselves to do one random act of kindness each day from December 1 to December 25. I’ve been so inspired by read their posts and wanted to pass them along to you: 25 Days of Christmas Blessings [...]

joanna 07-12-2011, 12:35

i love your ideas so far! i’m saving this under Christmas projects, & hopefully, i’ll be able to do it in future yrs. thanks for the great idea! =) God bless you for sharing your random acts of kindness, & Merry CHRISTmas!

Bridgette Hayes 07-12-2011, 12:46

Thanks Joanna! It has been a true joy sharing with others! :)

Tanya Bright 07-12-2011, 12:59

This are such great but simple ideas! I love it!

Carrie Leljedal 07-12-2011, 13:05

I LOVE you ideas my family was able to do a large scale B.L.E.S.S the other day by taking four bags of items to the Ronald McDonald house filled with all kinds of item people could use. My son is is developementally disabled said Mom this is the best Christamas present we give ourselves each year. He has heard me say this before, but I now know he understands what it means.

Thanks for reminding us that we should all pay it forward.

Bridgette Hayes 07-12-2011, 13:08

Thanks Tanya! :) The girls and I had a fun time coming up with activities that we could do everyday. Yes, sometimes just taking an extra minute to do something little can be brighten another persons day!

Linda 07-12-2011, 13:11

What a great idea. You are truly teaching your girls the reason for the season. God Bless.

Bridgette Hayes 07-12-2011, 13:12

That’s AWESOME Carrie! When I was younger my family stayed in the Ronald McDonald house in Wichita, Kansas when my little brother was in the hospital. The Ronald McDonald home was an amazing blessing to our family during a high stress time in our lives. Thanks for sharing your story, you just made my day even brighter! :)

lailani 07-12-2011, 13:15

Love, Love, Love, Love it! I want off work, now, to go do some of this…maybe tonight ;)

ruth 07-12-2011, 14:52

I have heard of some awesome folks in my community that when checking out at WalMart will look around to see who is also checking out at the same time that has kids and they will pay for that family’s Wal-Mart bill. (or grocery store) They say people start crying because they are so grateful. I love this idea and hope to be able to do it some day financially I mean.

Carolynn @mylittlebitoflife.com 07-12-2011, 14:52

I love this! Just yesterday I went to church and bought gift cards through their Script program (the church gets a percentage of the purchase) and told them to give them to four families in need, I asked if at all possible to give them first to single parent families! :)

Mindy 07-12-2011, 15:53

This is a lovely idea! Would you be willing to share what the BLESSING card says that you leave with the surprise?

Thanks so much!

Penny 07-12-2011, 16:38

I had my grocery bill paid for by a gentleman in line behind me once about a year ago—-it was so incredible and surprising.

I know lots of people that pay for the coffee of the person in the drive-thru behind them at Caribou or Starbuck’s as well—then that person pays for a different person the next time and so on.

Pretty cool ;)

Wednesday’s Midweek Savings 12/7 « Feelin' Frugal 07-12-2011, 17:23

Lori 07-12-2011, 19:17

I just wanted to say that I love this idea. My family has always tried to “pay it forward”. I am definately bookmarking this for future reference :)
~God Bless~

ms mary 07-12-2011, 23:36

I have done random acts of kindness whenever it pops in my head throughout the year, like an impulse. i have paid for a few peoples mcdonalds who where in the drive thru behind me. i always have to ask the cashier the amount before i say i want to pay though because i am only 23 and a single mom of 2 but what i can do always makes me feel good and i love watching the reactions in the rear view mirror. i also have told people behind me at walmart that something can be price matched and where when i see they are buying it. I also like to give out coupons even if i was planning on using them (for something i dont even need) when i see people that are going to buy that item. i love when i had the free cat food coupons i gave them to this old lady who was looking for cat food. i told her how i dont even have a cat and the coupon i was giving her made it free and even told her how to use it (just hand it over when she gets her total) lol she was elated! wow i guess i am a nice person lol i havent been thinking i am lately lol.

mary parker 09-12-2011, 12:45

I often purchase a Wendy’s Combo Meal and hand it to the person that tosses the sign around in front of our local mattress store. I feel that a small act of kindness, something to show God’s love through us, goes a long way in this world.

MelissA 28-09-2012, 13:12

We bought some candy for the salvation army bell ringer when we were out shopping. (I want to bring them random cups of hot chocolate this year if possible – especially on those cold days)

Bridgette Hayes 28-09-2012, 13:57

That’s a great idea Melissa! :) Thanks for sharing!